[BBLISA] statistics-based zero config network management: why doesnt this exist?

Brian O'Neill oneill at oinc.net
Mon Aug 5 08:08:02 EDT 2013

On 8/5/2013 7:40 AM, Edward Ned Harvey (bblisa4) wrote:
>> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
>> Behalf Of Brian O'Neill
>>
>> I use it all the time for network, disk, CPU and memory monitoring on my
>> Linux boxes using Net-SNMP.
>
> The time I experienced a mission critical failure to report correctly caused by SNMP, it was running ubuntu on a storage server.  There was simply a buffer overflow (or something) that caused it to mis-report the % free disk space.  Which we unfortunately discovered the hard way.
>
> Once bitten.

That could have been an implementation bug (seen similar with agents),
or a reporting bug, or just getting the wrong value. On some systems,
there may be multiple values, expressed as kbytes, mbytes, etc. in order
to fit within bit constraints, or on others they split values into low
and high words to achieve the same thing.

-Brian