[BBLISA] Any luck with UPSs and UPS monitoring in FreeBSD?

Alex Aminoff alex at basespace.net
Mon Apr 15 16:41:16 EDT 2013

We are using nut (network ups tools) under FreeBSD to let us know when
the power goes out so we can take appropriate actions. Unfortunately, it
seems that after getting it working, at some indefinite time in the
future it stops working, that is, the UPS stops responding. This seems
to happen with both APC and TrippLite UPSs and with both USB and serial
cables. Has anyone had good luck with a particular combination of UPS
brand and communication technology?

Thanks for any leads,
  - Alex Aminoff
    NBER