[BBLISA] Reset root password on FreeBSD

Mathew Snyder mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 14:50:23 EDT 2012

I tried the toor option. Didn't work. I guess these people are smarter than
the average vendor. ;)

I've booted to installation media and selected the single-user mode. I've
got the shell but when I attempt to follow the steps I've found on various
sites it doesn't work. Generally, they all follow the same procedure:

mount -a (or mount -u /)
passwd

However, this doesn't accomplish anything. when I look at df I'm only
seeing the installation media and devfs as mounted. I looked at /dev but
can't make out which, if any, of the entries are the partition I'm trying
to mount.

When I run passwd it seems to be executing from the installation media as
it fails to change the password due to what I've ascertained is a problem
making changes to a read-only filesystem. After I ran mount -o rw -a I get
the same result.

Any further help is appreciated.
-Mathew

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at
all." - God; Futurama

"We'll get along much better once you accept that you're wrong and neither
am I." - Me