[BBLISA] Reset root password on FreeBSD

Mathew Snyder mathew.snyder at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 11:21:11 EDT 2012

We have a single FreeBSD server installed by a vendor. They have let it sit
idle for who knows how long before coming around for a full configuration.
In that time, their default admin account has expired and no one kept track
of the root password. Now it needs to be reset.

Unfortunately, they configured single-user mode to require said root
password. This is quite a hinderance, naturally. I'm not familiar with the
BSDs. Can someone point me in the direction of instructions for reseting a
password with boot media or something. Everything I've found online so far
assumes no password for single-user mode.

-Mathew

"When you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at
all." - God; Futurama

"We'll get along much better once you accept that you're wrong and neither
am I." - Me