[BBLISA] Position in the Harvard School of Engineering

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at crystal.harvard.edu
Thu Oct 4 12:35:12 EDT 2012

Hi Folks,

I'm part of the Harvard School of Engineering[1] Computing Group[2] and
we've just lost one of our senior team members to Red Hat where he is
now the Fedora Cloud Architect[3], so we're looking for someone awesome
to join the team.

The official details are all here:

http://j.mp/harvard-seas-sr-research-sys-eng

but the skinny is that this is a great group of people doing cool stuff
in an exciting atmosphere.  We're Linux-heavy, and not just on the
server side.  Our constituency is a mix of undergraduate and graduate
CS/Engineering students, postdoctoral researchers and faculty.  Lots of
them run Linux on their laptops.

There is good flexibility to define the position based on the right
person's interests and abilities.  The main things are that we need
someone who has vision, provides leadership, is broadly competent,
personal, and professional.  A tick list of technology skills is secondary.

Some highlights:

* Over the summer we deployed OpenStack[4] and are now providing student
self-serve VM provisioning, and slowly moving our VMWare and KVM VMs to
OpenStack management.

* If you've heard of edX[5], our group is leading the Harvard deployment
(and involved in the development)

* We're into exciting work on multimedia content capture and
distribution using Matterhorn[6]

* We run a GIT hosting service (gitorious) http://code.seas.harvard.edu

* We have two HPC clusters (one 800 core w/ infiniband, the other 200
core w/ IB and GPUs)

* We manage a mix of research-oriented servers

* We are planning for a ~1 PB storage system for some data intensive
computing

Get in touch with me directly if you have questions or would like to
come in for an informal meet and greet.

Ian

[1] http://www.seas.harvard.edu/
[2] http://computing.seas.harvard.edu/