[BBLISA] Jim Gettys on Internet buffer bloat: smoke ping

Chaos Golubitsky chaos at glassonion.org
Fri Nov 16 14:24:09 EST 2012

On Fri, 16 Nov, 2012 at 14:16:15 -0500, Tom Metro wrote:

> Jim mentioned a few tools for diagnosing packet delay, such as "smoke
> ping." Did anyone catch the full name of those tools? (Not Netalyzer,
> which I'm already familiar with.)

I wasn't there, but presumably SmokePing: http://oss.oetiker.ch/smokeping/

I've played with it a little bit, and it seems potentially useful ---
client/server model, stores RRDs containing a reasonable set of per-ping
parameters, has a per-ping UI which shows packet loss and RTT on the
same graph in a way that seems useful.

I haven't decided whether to implement it yet, so i can't tell you how
it is over time.

Chaos