[BBLISA] slow wan link

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Fri Jun 8 16:59:43 EDT 2012

On Fri, 8 Jun 2012, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 8, 2012 at 8:35 AM, Edward Ned Harvey <bblisa4 at nedharvey.com> wrote:

A simple explanation buffer bload comes from understanding that if a 10
mbs link is presented with 12 mbs of traffic, 20% of the traffic must be
dropped. If there is 10 seconds worth of buffer, then all the traffic not
dropped is delayed 10 seconds. Because dropped packets will generally
cause sources to slow down, the traffic presented will generally slow down
to something very close to capacity and very few dropped packets, but with
10 seconds of delay for every packet - not at all optimal.

dan feenberg