[BBLISA] slow wan link

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Thu Jun 7 12:30:13 EDT 2012

On Thu, 7 Jun 2012, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 7, 2012 at 9:19 AM, Edward Ned Harvey <bblisa4 at nedharvey.com> wrote:
>>> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
>>> Behalf Of Daniel Feenberg
>>>
>>> We have maxed out our WAN link, and users are complaining of slow access
>>> to websites and x-windows interaction. Yet when I ping sites on the
>>> internet I see no lost packets, and ping times for relatively close hosts
>>> are consistently 20 - 30 milliseconds. Large packets are about the same.
>>> Ping times to our ISP's router at their POP are 2-4 milliseconds. I see no
>>> dropped pings to real hosts. Sometimes the ISP router drops a ping but I
>>> understand that may be due to ICMP limiting.
>>>
>>> I have difficulty reconciling these facts. If pings are fast and packets
>>> are not dropped, why do users see problems? I can confirm things seem
>>> slow. Is this the dreaded "buffer bloat" problem so recently hyped? Is
>>> there anything I can do here to aleviate it while waiting for more
>>> bandwidth?
>>
>> You should never drop pings, or any other traffic.  If you are dropping any
>> type of traffic, you have a much more serious problem.  So looking for
>> dropped packets is not a good test.  Er ... It's something you should test,
>> but you should always expect 0% loss, even on the most heavily overloaded
>> connection.
>
> I'm going to have to disagree with this.   A congested link SHOULD
> drop TCP packets so that congestion control knows to slow down.
> It's actually this thinking which results in deploying equipment and
> software that creates buffer bloat.   Now if you do see consistent
> lossage you should consider upgrading your link bandwidth, but that
> isn't always an option and if you don't drop packets you end up with
> retransmitted copies of the same TCP packet sitting in equipment
> buffers which doesn't help anyone.  You not only get lousy latency
> (due to long queuing times in equipment buffers), but you also get
> lower effective bandwidth (since the replicated packets are a waste of
> bandwidth when you need it most  (under overload conditions)).
> Admittedly ping/ICMP doesn't do congestion control so it won't  slow
> down its transmissions when packets get dropped.  However,  I would
> assert that it is easier, cheaper, and a better indication of network
> conditions to (by default) treat all packets the same and would hope
> that network equipment vendors would do so.
>
> BTW, Dan if your traceroute command supports the "-T" option you
> should try it out.   It uses TCP SYN packets rather then ICMP ECHO
> (ping) packets which might help you determine if different packet
> types are being treated differently.  You also might want to set up
> some kind of permanent monitoring system so you can be alerted to
> problems before users start complaining.

I get an interesting result from traceroute -T to the server I had been
doing most of my tests with. We are a customer of Paetec, and to avoid
congested peering I have been pinging and tracerouting to ntp.paetec.net.
The fastest time I have ever seen was 14 ms, which seemed ok to me.
However with the -T option the time drops to less than a millisecond. Is
this anycasting in action?

traceroute to ntp.paetec.net (64.80.254.1), 30 hops max, 60 byte packets
  1  nbergw.nber.org (66.251.73.254)  0.729 ms  0.708 ms  0.696 ms
  2  ROCHNY01H07CR01.paetec.net (64.80.254.1)  0.261 ms  0.160 ms  0.183 ms

Dan Feenberg
NBER