[BBLISA] slow wan link

Rob Taylor rgt at wi.mit.edu
Wed Jun 6 21:10:17 EDT 2012

Hi Daniel.

When you say WAN link,  are you referring to a network link between two
offices at your company, or do you mean your Internet connection?
Also, what speed is this link? When you say WAN, I think T1, T3, etc...
Can you monitor your gear with SNMP or command line to see what
performance stats on the gear are? Can you throw in a linux box running
ntop to see the traffic coming and going? Can you do ttcp test just
over the link itself?

Some network gear can queue smaller "interactive" packets ahead of
larger bulk transfer packets, to give better response to some
applications in heavily loaded situations.

Most of the following suggestions are ways to reduce load/optimize the
use  on the link.

X-windows is not the most network lite protocol out there. I've seen it
work well on a lan, but very poorly over a slow/high latency link.
If you can, have the users try using VNC, or freenx. Both create a
virtual X desktop on the target machine, and just shows you a mirror of
it on your desktop which you can disconnect from and reconnect to at
will. (They are the gui equivalents of screen or tmux)
The benefit of that is that instead of getting X updates,  your client
gets smaller raster updates(like rdp), which works better over slow
links.
VNC is not encrypted by default, so keep that in mind if it's going to
go over an untrusted link.

For web traffic, you could setup a squid proxy on a spare machine on
the lan side of the link. This can share common web traffic among
clients.

Year ago when I worked at a company that only had a T1, we did this and
it worked quite well. We had to configure the client machines to use
the proxy, (but there are automated ways to do that now and you can do
it transparently). At the time, windows updates worked really with
squid, as the first client primed the squid cache with the files, and
all the other clients got them at lan speeds.

If you control both sides of the WAN link, (it's not just a pipe to the
internet)
You could possibly look at link compression, depending on the equipment
and the speed of the link. I did it years ago over a t1, and it was ok.
Got maybe 2:1 compression.

You can also look at some WAN accelerators, from companies like
riverbed.
They optimize chatty protocols, perform caching, and compress the
traffic to get more out of the link for you. Not cheap though.

If you have a windows server 2008R2, you can look at using BranchCache,
which does some of the same things.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/server-cloud/windows-server/branchcache.aspx

You might also be able to tweak some setting on your WAN gear to
prioritize the traffic that you consider important, or at least ensure
fairness.

If your wan gear can't do that, then you can also at traffic shaping
gear, which can optimize/prioritize the flow of traffic over the link.
On a network mailing list that I am on, people have mentioned liking
Netequalizer, which is a inexpensive transparent traffic shaper.
It tries to make sure that people don't hog the link by default.

Let me know what you discover.

rgt