[BBLISA] slow wan link

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Wed Jun 6 19:43:56 EDT 2012

We have maxed out our WAN link, and users are complaining of slow access
to websites and x-windows interaction. Yet when I ping sites on the
internet I see no lost packets, and ping times for relatively close hosts
are consistently 20 - 30 milliseconds. Large packets are about the same.
Ping times to our ISP's router at their POP are 2-4 milliseconds. I see no
dropped pings to real hosts. Sometimes the ISP router drops a ping but I
understand that may be due to ICMP limiting.

I have difficulty reconciling these facts. If pings are fast and packets
are not dropped, why do users see problems? I can confirm things seem
slow. Is this the dreaded "buffer bloat" problem so recently hyped? Is
there anything I can do here to aleviate it while waiting for more
bandwidth?

Thanks
Daniel Feenberg
NBER