[BBLISA] small deployment IP KVM and power

Rob Taylor rgt at wi.mit.edu
Fri Jul 13 18:36:01 EDT 2012

Raritan does make some good kvm gear. We have 3 32 port units in house and like them a lot. How many remote users do you need?
They do make 8 port units, which sounds like about the size you need. You can get CIM(computer interface modules)
that do serial too. However, the serial ones are db9, and still need to plug into usb on the server for power.
Also, what server interfaces do you need? Raritan was only vga but just added support for DVI, HDMI, and Displayport.
I'm not sure if you can use a terminal emulator to access the serial ports though. I think you still might have to
access it through their KVM interface, which may not allow for cutting and pasting, or saving the session to a log.

We have some digi passports for console servers(need them less and less with lights out management though).
They have some nice features too, like catching the serial port output and logging it to a file on a local usb stick,
or e-mailing when a port is accessed. (I have found that the port e-mail feature is blocking though, so if the mail
server can't be accessed to send the alert, it hangs the port)

They also make this: http://www.digi.com/products/consoleservers/digi-passport-i-kvm#overview

It's a one port kvm, with a free serial port on it as well.
No idea what it costs but it might do the trick.

rgt

Whitehead Network/System Administrator