[BBLISA] Sharing PPD files to Mac OSX clients via cups/avahi

Nick Cammorato nick_cammorato at terc.edu
Fri Dec 28 13:45:47 EST 2012

> Where is the ppd file located on the linux server,
> /usr/share/cups/model/? It that readable by whatever needs to read it?

The model files are in /usr/share/cups/model, however the actual hosted
files that need to be retrieved are the post-queue setup printer-specific
ppds in /etc/cups/ppd, which are hosted correctly.  IE: If I go to
https://print-server:631/printers/Queue.ppd or
ipp://print-server/printers/Queue.ppd it downloads the file no problem.
The operation is, I believe GET-PPD, and it is allowed within the
configuration.

The issue is that the OSX clients never even attempt to do that operation
when configuring the queue if they will be printing to the linux machines,
but they DO do that GET-PPD operation when setting up a queue to the OSX
print server.

> Also from https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/CUPS it seems they want
> avahi started before cups. Is that happening in your setup?

Avahi is starting first and works just fine for advertising the printers.
They show up and you can print to them.  The sole problem is that it
doesn't retrieve the server-side PPD and so you both need the driver
installed locally and it doesn't pull down any extra configuration
options.

> --
>             -- rouilj
> John Rouillard

> My employers don't acknowledge my existence much less my opinions.

--Nick