[BBLISA] Sharing PPD files to Mac OSX clients via cups/avahi

Nick Cammorato nick_cammorato at terc.edu
Fri Dec 28 12:34:58 EST 2012

I'm hoping there are enough people with enough Macs on this list that
maybe someone knows the answer to this.  I've run into a weird problem
trying to transition from an OSX 10.7 server machine as the print server
in a primarily mac environment over to a linux print server.   The linux
server is running Avahi 0.6.31, cups 1.6.1, cups-filters 1.0.25, and
ghostscript 9.06, although going to earlier versions the same behavior is
evident.  Switching between centos with custom RPMs and fedora core or
ubuntu with included packages also doesn't seem to affect it.  I
personally prefer RHEL(and thus CentOS), but I'm not exactly wedded to it.

When adding the printer via bonjour, on the OSX server, the printer shows
up as the type "bonjour shared", on the linux server it shows up as just
bonjour.  The service advertisements show up as the same with an
avahi-browse though.  When you go to add it, it sends an IPP request to
the OSX server, which retrieves the PPD at server/printers/Printer.ppd and
installs it locally, but it doesn't even attempt this on any of the linux
alternatives.  Dumping the traffic off my laptop shows no immediately
appreciable difference between the two bonjour announcements that I can
detect, and the main difference appears to be that it doesn't even try to
do the ipp get on the linux server.

Printing works fine, heck, airprint works fine, but without retrieving
that ppd, the printer options(IE: extra trays) are never set and the
drivers have to be installed locally if they aren't included.  You can,
however, retrieve the ppd manually in a browser, install it manually, and
it all works.  Installing all the printers is somehow not an acceptable
solution though.

I'm stumped.  Anyone have any ideas?