[BBLISA] Fwd: dropbox CLI package

Ian Stokes-Rees ijstokes at crystal.harvard.edu
Tue Mar 29 13:47:21 EDT 2011

I've put together a CLI tarball for Dropbox with three main goals:

1. Putting the Dropbox folder somewhere *other* than $HOME/Dropbox; and
2. Making it easy to start up (and manage) multiple Dropbox instances
for the same user in different locations;
3. Making it possible to have a per-host (or per-site) single
distribution of the Dropbox CLI tools, rather than per-user.

If you're interested in trying it out, you can find it here:

http://portal.nebiogrid.org/devel/dropbox/

It requires Python 2.6 (#!/bin/env python2.6).  Pretty easy to install
and pretty easy to use, but not extensively tested.  I have simply
hacked the CLI scripts/packages distributed by Dropbox (and some users),
but those packages need to be installed per-user, and only really
support one instance of Dropbox per user.

Feedback appreciated, esp. on how to handle the Python 2.6 issue (I
could rip out 2.6 dependencies, or simply do /bin/env python and state
that python2.6 must be the default).

Ian