[BBLISA] Cell phone plan for a sysadmin?

bblisa at rootme.org bblisa at rootme.org
Mon Jul 4 16:59:51 EDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 04, 2011 at 02:58:33PM -0400, KMP at KMPeterson.COM wrote 3.3K bytes in 61 lines about:
: > Cell phone plans are extremely complicated. I'm hoping I can hear from
: > some of us who have similar needs and have found a plan that works well.
: > The bottom line is, I don't want to pay very much money. I'm looking at
: > some of the pay as you go plans, but it seems silly that you pay for
: > minutes, but then if you don't use them they expire anyway. And some
: > carriers seem to charge insane amounts for data on your cell phone. The
: > pager was $17/month, I would like to get close to that number, or,
: > perhaps with the right pay as you go plan, even less.

I've had zero issues with virgin mobile's $25/mo beyond talk plan. After
taxes, I pay $26.73/mo.

Android-based phone with ssh client, text/email alerts, and 300 minutes
of voice has been fine for my needs.  I average 300MB of data a month.
There are data limits on the 'unlimited' plans, like 2.5GB/mo or so.
Interesting definition of 'unlimited', but exceeding them restricts you
to 256KB/s rates until your next monthly period starts.

--
Andrew
pgp key: 0x74ED336B