[BBLISA] Cell phone plan for a sysadmin?

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Mon Jul 4 10:40:43 EDT 2011

> From: bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org [mailto:bblisa-bounces at bblisa.org] On
> Behalf Of Alex Aminoff
>
> Cell phone plans are extremely complicated. I'm hoping I can hear from

I'm extremely happy with my metropcs android plan.  $50/mo including
unlimited everything, including taxes and everything, with no contract.  I
feel extremely un-screwed (and feeling constantly screwed was the reason I
quit T-mobile.)

One thing to be aware of:  The non-4G phones, although the phones themselves
are 3G, metropcs only has a 2G and 4G network.  So if you get a non-4G
phone, you'll be stuck at 2G speeds.  This is roughly 100Kbit/sec (two
dialup lines).  This is fine for most things...  Running your GPS, streaming
youtube, navigating, getting traffic info, etc.  All that stuff is highly
optimized.  It's basically just when you want to install apps or apply
system updates that you need something faster.  Do that sort of stuff at
home on your wifi.

(Don't install apps while driving!)  ;-)

If you buy the 4G phone, you pay more for the phone ($400 vs $150) but then
your plan is still the same price and everything is the same, and you can
run 4G.  There is a 2Gb limit, at which point data shuts off till next
month.  2Gb is plenty for any "normal" person, but if you don't want that,
you pay $60/mo for the unlimited 4G plan.

Any way you cut it, it beats the crap out of T-mobile and verizon and all
the other major carriers.  But you can't get an iPhone.   ;-)