[BBLISA] Runnign time sync on Windows?

Matt Iavarone matt.iavarone at gmail.com
Wed Jan 12 18:43:08 EST 2011

On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 3:58 PM, Rudie, Tony <Tony.Rudie at fmr.com> wrote:
> A question while we’re not gathering to talk about Microsoft SCCM:
>

> Has anyone used Windows servers for time synchronization in an enterprise
> data center?
>

> We’ve talked in this forum about using Active Directory for Unix/Linux
> authentication and directory service, and in fact I am in the middle of a
> long project to do just that.  A couple of other projects will result in our
> having a formery multi-purpose set of Solaris boxes, whose only remaining
> function will be NTP stratum-2 service.
>

> What does anyone think of using AD domain controllers as the focal points
> for time sync?
>

> Tony Rudié
>
> Server Architect, FIMT/TSO

I'm currently getting time from our Windows domain controllers in two
locations with a good degree of accuracy.  I'm not sure where the DCs
are getting their time from though.  I'm pretty sure you can set the
windows servers to use a public source if you feel the local time may
be a problem.

-Matt Iavarone