[BBLISA] Looking for possible options to NetApp storage

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Wed Feb 2 08:33:57 EST 2011

> From: Daniel Feenberg [mailto:feenberg at nber.org]
>
> I'd really be interested in anyone reporting on their experience with
> Nexenta or Silicon Mechanics -

The best place to find these people will be ...
	the zfs-discuss mailing list at opensolaris...
	The forums on nexenta.org ...

> We looked into the Sun 7220 and the sales guy said it did
> not support that, although I couldn't tell if he meant we couldn't do it,
> or that they wouldn't help us.

The sun 7xxx series is based on opensolaris, customized for user simplicity.
If you don't want simplicity (aka you want to login as root and run scripts
and build applications etc) there is nothing stopping you from doing that.
But it's officially unsupported.

Not like that means much of anything.  "Officially supported" doesn't stray
much from the mainstream either.  I have an officially supported premium
support contract on solaris 10, and I had a problem with what seems like a
bug in dd.  The support team told me, "We don't support dd."