[BBLISA] UPS relative merits

Daniel Feenberg feenberg at nber.org
Tue Aug 30 11:14:14 EDT 2011

We need a UPS to prevent damage to our disk drives when power spikes. We
have been getting APC Smart UPS for ~$500, but I have noticed that the APC
BackUPS is about $200. If we don't care about the USB interface, or the
LCD monitor, or the "hang time", is there a reason to prefer the Smart
UPS? I notice in the spces that it delivers "sinewave power" rather than
"step function approximation". Is that important for the 10 minutes/year
the system will be providing power?

Both systems are "line-interactive". Does that even provide any protection
from brief high voltage? I worry that the only protection from spikes they
provide is in the mosfet, and that the batteries are not relevant. We
don't try to keep the systems up during a power outage, just shut them
down as quickly as possible.

We are in Cambridge and we used to lose a drive or two after every power
failure. I believe that the UPSs have reduced that rate, but it is hard to
tell.

Daniel Feenberg