[BBLISA] Does this tool exist?

Eric Smith esmithphoto at gmail.com
Sun Apr 17 17:07:11 EDT 2011

I occasionally have to dig through logs of various kinds... tomcat,
apache, java programs (log4j),....

And I've wondered if I should write this tool, or maybe it exists.
Is there something that will tell me when there are gaps in a log
file?  I would specify the format of the date/time info, then specify
how big a gap I want to know about, and it would scan, ripping out the
date/time & do the date math and when it got a big enough time gap
between messages it would tell me.

Maybe it would print the line number the gap started on and the start
and stop date.  Pipe a grep into this command and it could be a really
powerful way to gain some insight into my logs.

I keep being surprised by the tools available in unix.... ggrep with
-A and -B (awesome), I almost wrote xargs years ago until someone told
me about it, ....
Maybe this one already exists and my google-fu isn't strong enough to find it.

I could write it in perl myself, but I'd rather not if I don't have to.  :)

Any thoughts?

Eric