[BBLISA] simpler alternative to Nagios

Dean Anderson dean at av8.net
Wed Sep 1 12:15:33 EDT 2010

I haven't checked recently if this is still the case.  Years ago linux
changed the interrupt handler to respond to ping.  This greatly improved
ping response by cheating, but had some other side effects.  The kernel
can crash, and if the crash didn't interfere with the interrupt table,
it will still ping while dead.

		--Dean

On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, Robert Keyes wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Aug 2010, David N. Blank-Edelman wrote:
>
> > Hi Alex-
> >  Big Brother's successor, Xymon (formerly Hobbit) at http://sourceforge.net/projects/xymon/ may get you closer to what you seek.
>
> I am going to jump on the bandwagon here and yell 'Xymon!'
>
> Looking at your earlier idea about checking with ping, I cringed for a
> second, but then recovered. But it might be worth mentioning here that
> ping is NOT sufficient to see if a host is alive! I have known of an
> organization which used ping to see if its servers were alive, but ping
> didn't detect when a DoS attack ran the servers out of filehandles causing
> all net services to become unavailable, including SSH, without affecting
> the ICMP stack.

617 256 5494