[BBLISA] need a BGP tunnel peer (was Re: comcast ... again)

Robert Keyes bob at sinister.com
Sat Oct 30 17:15:55 EDT 2010

I am not sure exactly who needs what as far as BGP peering. For some
reason, I didn't get the starting message(s) of this thread. See below.

On Fri, 29 Oct 2010, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 7:44 PM, Alex Aminoff <alex at basespace.net> wrote:
>> On 10/28/2010 1:57 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
>>>
>>> It sounds
>>> like you want to setup a second link and continue to use the same
>>> address space (via BGP announcements).  Unless you actually own your
>>> current address space (i.e. not delegated by a provider), I believe
>>> this is going to be difficult to do as most ISPs are going to ignore
>>> the new BGP announcement that is going to
>>> come for the address space you are using.   In fact, it might even be
>>> a violation of your terms of service with your current provider to get
>>> someone to do this for you.
>>
>> The IP space I have is a /24 assigned to me by Cogent. Assignment means I
>> can advertise it through BGP peering with anyone I want. I do this now
>> through Towerstream. We would keep the Cogent T1 and /24 and use the FIOS
>> link as the other uplink, but since Verizon will not BGP peer directly we
>> need an ISP peer elsewhere to peer with us over a tunnel.
>>
>> You can see BaseSpace's route advertisements from AS30183 at any looking
>> glass.
>
> Great.   Then I think it's very possible.
>
> Here's a link to the NANOG thread I mentioned:
>
> http://www.merit.edu/mail.archives/nanog/msg08913.html
>
> The subject line was "any "bring your own bandwidth" IPv4 over IPv4
> tunnel merchants?".   You have your own IP space so (and want to do
> BGP), but I'm sure someone will be willing to do that...

I have an ASN, a server running BGPd and announcing to/from my ISP. I
could peer with you over a VPN. If there's a low-demand situation, it can
be set up gratis, but higher demands may require some money. I eventually
plan on selling a service such as this, where I can give customers 'real'
IPs from my assignments, or route their own IP space for them. Right now,
I don't have the automated scripts set up to make everything nice and
slick, so an alpha-test user or two, who would have minimal demands and
minimal expectations, would get service for free.

If this sounds like something you're interested in, we can discuss it. I'd
be interested in knowing how much interest there is for this service, and
people's ideas on how it should be managed, priced, and policed.

My idea for pricing is a per-GB transfer, plus a per-IP address/month
charge, on top of a low base rate to cover the cost of running the
service. I am toying with the idea of offering prepaid 'bandwidth cards'.
Policing spammers would be a hassle, but spammers can be dissuaded by
charging a higher rate for outbound port 25 traffic than for other ports.

I'd like to be able to offer bandwidth aggregation, so for example a
customer could have both a verizon and comcast feed, using both when both
are working but not dropping off the net if verizon or comcast fails.

Any thoughts?

-Bob