[BBLISA] need a BGP tunnel peer (was Re: comcast ... again)

Alex Aminoff alex at basespace.net
Thu Oct 28 19:44:45 EDT 2010

On 10/28/2010 1:57 PM, Bill Bogstad wrote:
> It sounds
> like you want to setup a second link and continue to use the same
> address space (via BGP announcements).  Unless you actually own your
> current address space (i.e. not delegated by a provider), I believe
> this is going to be difficult to do as most ISPs are going to ignore
> the new BGP announcement that is going to
> come for the address space you are using.   In fact, it might even be
> a violation of your terms of service with your current provider to get
> someone to do this for you.

The IP space I have is a /24 assigned to me by Cogent. Assignment means
I can advertise it through BGP peering with anyone I want. I do this now
through Towerstream. We would keep the Cogent T1 and /24 and use the
FIOS link as the other uplink, but since Verizon will not BGP peer
directly we need an ISP peer elsewhere to peer with us over a tunnel.

You can see BaseSpace's route advertisements from AS30183 at any looking
glass.

  - Alex