[BBLISA] comcast ... again

Steve Meuse smeuse at mara.org
Wed Oct 20 09:07:21 EDT 2010

K. M. Peterson expunged (KMP at KMPeterson.COM):

> I had a router from them previously.  Like someone else said here, I really don't want Comcast inside my network at all.  I didn't want them to have control over my WAP, either, and they didn't offer 802.11n at that time.  At one point, IIRC, the router/WAP package ("home networking package"?) specified the ability to have 5 home devices.  I haven't had any issues with my setup with them.  I don't see any advantage to a technical user having an "all-in-one" modem/router/WAP.

Those products are not designed for BBLISA types, they're designed for people who sometimes have a hard time turning computers on. Trust me, when you have 15 million cable modem users to support, restricting features is a must. We get trashed on the support front as it is (I'm not defending that), but letting nerds completely re-configure their home gateway, breaking it, then shouting in forums, mailing lists, etc, is not a good support strategy..

-Steve