[BBLISA] comcast ... again

Patrick Cable pc at pcable.net
Wed Oct 20 08:06:51 EDT 2010

On Wed, Oct 20, 2010 at 7:26 AM, Edward Ned Harvey
<bblisa4 at nedharvey.com> wrote:
>> From: Carl Alexander [mailto:xela at MIT.EDU]
>>
>> Um.  I can only assume from this that your friend is renting his
>> router from Comcast, rather than using one of his own?  Because
>> the normal thing for computer-proficient people to do is to
>> buy a WRT54GL and run their NAT off that.  Which will happily
>
> So, you buy your own cable modem?  Last I checked, you couldn't connect a
> Coax to a WRT54G.  Other than that ... The coax comes into the house,
> connects to this comcast supplied router, which has a wifi antenna and some
> wired data ports...  Serves up 5 IP addresses.  It's got a public IP on the
> coax side, and that's it.
>
> Maybe you have to specify, "I want a dumb cable modem so I can run my own
> router" so they don't give you a crippled router cable modem?

FWIW, I've seen cable modems (motorola SB5xxx series comes to mind)
give out 192.168.0.0/24 addresses when they didn't receive a WAN
address. This allows you to access the cable modem's information page.
I think that if you eventually did get a WAN address it would just
continue to masquerade. This was all several years ago though and my
memory could be foggy.

Return the mixed modem/gateway combo and ask for a standard
(motorola/atlanta scientific(i think?)/whatever) cable modem. Or,
return the gateway and pick up any DOCSIS-compatable cable modem (some
providers have lists of modems that they prefer you purchase).