[BBLISA] Faster than 1G Ether ... ESX to ZFS

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Wed Nov 17 12:32:43 EST 2010

> From: Bill Bogstad [mailto:bogstad at pobox.com]
>
> If this was pure Linux-to-Linux, you could look into equal cost
> multi-path routing.  Here's a random link that I found
>
> [...]
>
> I also tried looking into iSCSI multipath and haven't figured out if
> that would be useful or not.  Still it bears more investigation.

The multipath option definitely deserves more investigation.  I had one
person tell me they're using it already, to connect ESXi to ZFS backend
storage, but it's a new feature in Solaris 11 Express, and it's only
applicable to ISCSI.  By expanding to 2 ports instead of 1, he got nearly
double the speed.  All these "facts" need verification.  And I'm sure there
are plenty of limitations and gotchas to be aware of.  ;-)  Particularly,
"only iscsi."  While not necessarily fatal, that's certainly undesirable in
some cases.