[BBLISA] Faster than 1G Ether ... ESX to ZFS

Daniel Hagerty hag at linnaean.org
Wed Nov 17 11:38:33 EST 2010

Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> writes:

> variable latency in the general case.  This can screwup video
> streaming or VOIP pretty badly.  You are in a single datacenter and
> aren't using those protocols, so we can hope it won't matter to you.
> (Be sure to test this. :-)

    Out of order delivery is pretty easy to get with or without
variable speed of light delays.  Queueing and packet sizing are each
happy to provide on their own.

    TCP doesn't deal well with it, at least if you're mentioning it in
the same breath as performance.  This is probably so for anything that
has to restitch something that has been fragemented and scrambled.