[BBLISA] Faster than 1G Ether ... ESX to ZFS

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Fri Nov 12 09:21:26 EST 2010

Since combining ZFS storage backend, via nfs or iscsi, with ESXi heads, I'm
in love.  But for one thing.  The interconnect between the head & storage.

1G Ether is so cheap, but not as fast as desired.  10G ether is fast enough,
but it's overkill and why is it so bloody expensive?  Why is there nothing
in between?  Is there something in between?  Is there a better option?  I
mean . sata is cheap, and it's 3g or 6g, but it's not suitable for this
purpose.  But the point remains, there isn't a fundamental limitation that
*requires* 10G to be expensive, or *requires* a leap directly from 1G to
10G.  I would very much like to find a solution which is a good fit. to
attach ZFS storage to vmware.

Any suggestions?