[BBLISA] need a BGP tunnel peer (was Re: comcast ... again)

Robert Keyes bob at sinister.com
Tue Nov 2 13:23:49 EDT 2010

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Alex Aminoff wrote:

>> My idea for pricing is a per-GB transfer, plus a per-IP address/month
>> charge, on top of a low base rate to cover the cost of running the
>> service. I am toying with the idea of offering prepaid 'bandwidth
>> cards'. Policing spammers would be a hassle, but spammers can be
>> dissuaded by charging a higher rate for outbound port 25 traffic than
>> for other ports.
>
> BaseSpace already has a /24, assigned from Cogent, and an ASN. Your
> solution would be a possibility, though if your pricing is per GB that
> might not work well for us since current traffic is in the 100s of
> GB/month and one reason for doing this is so that we could take
> advantage of the big FIOS pipe to potentially use much more. You can see
> BaseSpace's traffic here: http://www.basespace.net/mrtg/

Per GB is based on my cost. In bulk, my bandwidth drops, so I could
arrange a minimum monthly charge and lower cost per GB, or price by
bandwidth instead of of per GB. I selected a pricing based in GB because
most people would use this as backup bandwidth. In many business plans,
non-recurring-charges would make more sense in this case.

I'd also like to add some point-to-point microwave circuits in the future.
The problem with this is that I'd need to commit to real-estate leases
which costs me flexibility.

-Bob