[BBLISA] need a BGP tunnel peer (was Re: comcast ... again)

Robert Keyes bob at sinister.com
Mon Nov 1 16:56:27 EDT 2010

On Mon, 1 Nov 2010, Dean Anderson wrote:

> Tunneling to another ISP isn't going to be very efficient.  You are down
> if they are down, or if anything in between you and them is down; then
> you have ordinary problems if anything in between them and the client is
> down. (that was severe enough to motivate the search for multihoming)

For mission-critical applications you are correct, but other than that,
current reliability seems sufficient. Of course, this may vary with the
broadband provider, and the specific physical location of the broadband
endpoint.

> BGP flapping can make things worse on both connections.

BGP can be configured so this is minimized.

> Why not just get a /24 from VZ and dual home your DNS, mail, etc servers
> to different IP addresses?  Seems easier.

I don't know how much Verizon would charge for this, even if it were
available. Secondary DNS & SMTP servers are something I would assume is
already in use.

So, this IP over IP isn't the solution for every problem, but it does have
applications. For instance, someone running a mini- WISP off of their
cable modem and some wifi APs. They'd want to hide the fact they're using
comcast or whatever as their upstream, and provide routable IPs to their
users. Wifi isn't suitable for mission-critical applications in the first
place, so the addition of the VPN doesn't degrade the reliability value
much. It does add latency, however, so perhaps VoIP wouldn't work so well.

The use of the VPN/cable modem as a backup in case the primary network
connection fails does make sense. More latency is certainly better than
no service.

-Bob