[BBLISA] Wired to wireless?

Tal Cohen tcohen at sitespect.com
Mon May 3 08:37:58 EDT 2010

You seem to have 2 questions here. First, is the uplink secure, and second, how to secure WiFi.

Re #1, not sure, but I do know that one time I was mucking with internal route statements (internal to my LAN) and inadvertently was able to ping an upstream router on a 10.x.x.x network.

Re #2, WiFi: It is worth noting that since WiFi broadcasts a signal, there is inherently less security around it when compared against a wired network. With that said, there are steps you can take to mitigate the open nature of WiFi networks:

*         Make sure to setup the strongest level of encryption available on your WiFi device and use a strong non-dictionary word password (use a password generator that spits out gibberish but that will include uppercase, lowercase, symbols, and numbers)

*         Do not broadcast the SSID

*         Use access control to limit who can connect to your WiFi device

*         Change the default password on all of your devices  including the WiFi devices (this is just good security)

*         Monitor the logs on the WiFi devices (routers). Most let you direct logs to a Syslog server. Do it, then periodically monitor the syslog entries.

*         You should also check out the NSA's website. They have guidelines on how to secure devices including PC's, MACs, and WiFi routers.

Hope this helps,

Tal