[BBLISA] [SAGE] A summary: emergency pagers

Daniel Rich drich at employees.org
Thu Mar 18 11:54:32 EDT 2010

Ryan Pugatch wrote:
> Here is a summary of solutions mentioned in response to my posting to
> BBLISA and SAGE:
>
> - Dean Anderson mentions this article:
> http://www.linuxjournal.com/files/linuxjournal.com/ufiles/LJ191_UsingSMSforNagios.pdf
> which involves using an SMS device to interface with Nagios.  The
> MultiTech device in the article is mentioned by Daniel Rich.
>
> - Lukas Karlsson uses QuickPage - http://www.qpage.org/ with a modem
> and POTS line.  There were a few others suggesting qpage as well.

I am a former qpage user who has migrated to sendpage (yes, I still use
a modem to send pages via. TAP :-) ).  We were having problems with
qpage not always sending pages as well as issues with our Nextel
phones.  Sendpage has resolved those for us.  I have also submitted
patches to both qpage and sendpage to allow them to communicate directly
with SNPP servers for the carriers that provide them.  It will first
attempt to send the message via. SNPP if a server is configured and the
network is available, if that fails it will fallback to TAP.  We found
this leads to messages being sent *much* faster and more reliably.

I should know more on the MultiTech iSMS device in the next few days, we
are expecting to have it up and running this afternoon.

> - Derek Balling suggests the Siemens TC65T - several others recommend
> using an old cell phone or modem to send the texts directly.
>
> - Jens Link and Daniel Rich mentioned the decreasing lack of support
> for TAP (and also lack of support for WCTP)
>
> - Several suggestions about having multiple types of notification in
> case one fails.
>
> - Brian de Smet suggests www.pagerduty.com but Phil Pennock said his
> colleague had encountered some trouble with them.
>
> - A couple of people mentioned that AT&T has an enterprise paging
> option that gives you an SLA for your texts.
> http://enterprisepaging.com/faq.jsp

AT&T Enterprise Paging service is also a requirement if you want to use
SNPP, WCTP or TAP with an AT&T device.  It runs roughly $20 per device
per month.

> I hope I didn't miss any of the suggestions.
>
> I think the route I am going to go is to grab a MultiTech iSMS and put
> it on to AT&T with an enterprise paging plan.  Then I can have big
> brother use the API to send messages.

You shouldn't need Enterprise paging with the iSMS since you will
already be sending SMS messages.  You only need it if you want to use
TAP, SNPP, SMTP or WCTP to send your messages.