[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Thu Mar 18 16:27:04 EDT 2010

Sigh....

I was going to write a snarky comment about how I first started using
the Internet in College over a bitnet account... and how my email
using @wpi.edu worked just fine, even though it was over bitnet
(during the transition to a full internet connection).  But looking
back on it now, it certainly wasn't a true internet IPv4 connection,
it was NAT'd over bitnet, so it wasn't really truly the right thing
and was completely useless in the real world, etc.

But I won't.

But will you guys *please* grow up, esp you Dean.  Sure, I realize
that CLNS might be technically superior, for some value of superior,
but it's NOT going to be the technology deployed.  IPv6 is going to
win because it's the *easiest* to deploy in an incremental fashion.

Sure, it might not be perfect, and might actually suck rotten eggs,
but hey, that's life.  I'd argue that we should be making IPv6 as
*simple* as possible, and layer on the more complex protocols on top
of it, but seperate.  Really, IPv4 just needs larger address spaces,
then people can deploy new protocols on top of it and put the
complexity up the stack.

Having one all singing/dancing layer with lots of complexity is
wrong.  It makes writing and testing and deploying interoperable
implementations way too hard.  On both developers, ISPs and end
users.

So dammit, grow up all of you and be more civil.  Stop being snarky.

Sheesh,
John