[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Wed Mar 17 14:34:08 EDT 2010

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Internaut at Large wrote:

> And ... large-scale systems administrators are usually ... that's
> right, it starts with an "e" ... and ends with a "srs"  Do you need
> more hints?

Actaully, large scale system administrators (LSSA) usually work at the
ISPs or at the companies that run the servers that end-users want to
use.  They (LSSA) provide the services to the end users.  Only at home,
playing xbox live, or trying to get into their corporate environments
remotely, do they find themselves as end-users.

> > Even with 2 million routes in the next generation of super routers,
> > end users aren't going to get portable (ISP-independent) space,
> > since every portable route must be in the global route table.
>
> Why?  Seriously, why?  Because that's the way it's done now?

Because its going to be that way in 5 years. These maximums don't change
very rapidly.

But even at 4 million or 8 million or 16 million, it doesn't ever work
for end users to have their own blocks. There will be 5 billion end
users by that time.  Do you get it?  The scales don't match, and are off
by a factor of 1000.

If you were in charge of the internet, who would you suppose those slots
will be given to?  The server companies who have some genuine interest
in ISP independence? Or end-users like yourself? Hint: There could
indeed be a lot of corruption involved, but it won't ever be the
end-users.

> -dkap, Wondering where "free as the internet" has gone to.

The internet never was free; it was just an illusion to end-users, like
santa-claus to children. First, it was government subsidized. Then it
was subsidized by corporations, then porn and spam/ads were added as the
government dropped out.  The small ISPs like AV8 are slowly disappearing
like the small farm, because we (also like the small farm) can't achieve
the economies of scale of comcast and verizon (very much like the big
farms). In the end, companies like AV8 will be renting our property (IP
resources) to the big "farmers".  Maybe, if we're lucky, we'll find a
niche like organic produce that enables us to charge more and stay
viable.

> "When bad men combine, the good must associate; else they will fall
> one by one, an unpitied sacrifice in a contemptible struggle." -Edmund
> Burke
>
> "All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do
> nothing." (Translated from Russian, from S. Bondarchuck's adaptation
> of) -L. Tolstoy, "War and Peace"

Very nice quotes. There is indeed evil roaming the internet. But you
don't understand what it is or how it works.  But, for the last 10+
years, its been part of my job to expose it.

		--Dean

617 256 5494