[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Tue Mar 16 18:19:04 EDT 2010

On Tue, 16 Mar 2010, Internaut at Large wrote:

> Greetings,
>
> On Mon, 2010-03-15 at 20:01 -0400, Dean Anderson wrote:
> > I think the easiest way to play around is to install netbsd.  But I know
> > of nothing quite turnkey at this minute.  Users come after ISPs on the
> > install tree.
>
> Right, us peons, the ones who want servers, who want IPv6, are the
> ones who are the last to get what we want, right?  Thanks!  Dean this
> isn't an ISP list, it's a USER list.  Think about your target audience
> for the nonce?

Actually, its a large scale system administrators list.  I think
inet-access is probably more oriented to users. (does that still exist?)

But it isn't about "getting what you want" nor about being //last// to
get what you want.  My point is about what can be had or given.  What
you think can be had, just can't be had. Its not possible.  Its not
possible because of route table size. Even with 2 million routes in the
next generation of super routers, end users aren't going to get portable
(ISP-independent) space, since every portable route must be in the
global route table.

I mean think about it. Do you really suppose there will only be 2
million end users, each with their own route? (much less)

As of November, there are currently 98836 blocks allocated worldwide by
all 5 RIRs. (Regional Internet Registries). Right now, I've got 308298
prefixes advertised for those 99,000 blocks.  So a route table of 2
million can probably handle only 600,000 allocated blocks.

The other question related to server operation, just a globally unique
IP address (as opposed to an ISP-independent block), is a matter of cost
and policy. The server costs more to the ISP; Hence the ISP charges
more.  And those people who haven't paid (regular residential users) are
going to find that they can't run servers by contract and technical
implementation of that policy.  Home residential users aren't going to
be able to run servers, no matter what protocol they use.

If you want IPV6 because you think it gives you servers at home, then
you are just wrong, and you misunderstand the policy, administrative,
and technical issues that are involved. No insult intended, but that
just isn't going to happen under any addressing scheme.

		--Dean

617 256 5494