[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Mon Mar 15 10:06:42 EDT 2010

IS-IS can forward routing information it can't completely decode by
itself.  OSPF can't.  This only comes in handy when the interface type
is unknown.  Obviously, if you are going to be forwarding frames, you
have to have protocol and have to be able to get the routes out.  But
the ability to forward routes it doesn't understand (opaque) and let
them be handled by something that does understand them (instead of
rejecting them), sets IS-IS apart from OSPF.

		--Dean

On Sat, 13 Mar 2010, Benjamin Cline wrote:

> Dean Anderson wrote:
>  > The IETF routing protocols all suffer from "not invented here, we
>  > don't interoperate with foreigners, ambiguous specifications that
> must > be followed rigidly", while ISO design was "we route opaque protocol
>  > packets securely with everyone without ambiguity".  So you can route
>  > IPv6 on IS-IS on routers that don't know anything about IPV6.
>  > You can't do that with OSPF or OSPF6.
>  >

> I know to little to nothing about IS-IS (the little bit I do know is
> that IS-IS = 0! :-), but I don't see how this is supposed to work.
>
> How can a router that doesn't know anything about IPv6 make a forwarding
> decision for ("route") packets (datagrams) using an addressing system it
> knows nothing about? Since this router knows nothing about IPv6, how
> does IS-IS update the routing table with those 128-bit addresses (see
> also blivet[1])?
>
> And if this is an ethernet network, I'd expect a non-IPv6 router (and
> any other non-IPv6layer 3 device) to discard any frames it receives with
> an ethertype of 86DD.
>
> 	Benji
>
> [1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blivet

617 256 5494