[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Benjamin Cline brc at peppermint.org
Sun Mar 14 14:09:48 EDT 2010

Daniel Hagerty wrote:
>     I'd suggest reading Radia Perlman if you want the fairly high
> level stuff that Dean's, um, discussing to be covered a bit more
> clearly.

Thank you. I've read Radia Perlman. I've even had the privilege of
meeting Radia Perlman.

>     He's talking about using IS-IS as a unified, multi-protocol IGP.
> This is being done in production networks, today.
>
>     He does seem to be claiming that you can use IS-IS to forward IPv6
> without enabling IPv6 on the router, but that would indeed be magic,
> and isn't how it works.

I'm glad you're able to translate Dean-speak into English. The
particular point of his that I was questioning (and which I quoted in my
original reply) was "So you can route IPv6 on IS-IS on routers that
don't know anything about IPV6. You can't do that with OSPF or OSPF6."
As we both noted, this does seem to be magic and I wanted Dean to
explain just how this was possible.

I'm sorry if you (or anyone else) found my comments about tunneling IPv6
inside IS-IS to be confusing or to imply I don't understand IP routing.
I was mostly being flippant, but it's also the only way I could think of
to make Dean's claim regarding the magic of IS-IS even remotely possible.

	Benji