[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Internaut at Large dkap at mailhost.haven.org
Fri Mar 12 19:19:00 EST 2010

Greetings,

On Fri, 2010-03-12 at 18:00 -0500, Dean Anderson wrote:
> On Fri, 12 Mar 2010, John Orthoefer wrote:
>
> > One of the simplest ways to start is to go to SIXXS, or TunnelBroker
> > or both, and get an allocation of v6 space.
>
> Yes, test it out. Measure the speed.
>
> > One comment to Bill about v4 space running out, all those predictions
> > are based on ARIN allocations.  The v4 space will then be in the hands
> > of the ISPs, except for those places that got allocations before you
> > had to be an ISP (BBN, for example.)  Since the resource is limited,
> > there will be an aftermarket (I believe the space says that it goes
> > back ARIN if you don't need/want it anymore, but people will just
> > shove the ownership of the space into a holding company, and sell the
> > company with the space.)  The bottom line is we are in the end stage
> > of a landrush, then the space will get a market value (I know I sound
> > like a freemarket guy now.)
>
> ARIN-owned space goes back to ARIN.
[... screed against ARIN deleted ... ]

This rant would make me think you are so much _more_ in favor if IPv6,
which is not controlled by ARIN, as opposed to trying to smother it.

> This is what I want to get to: Legacy space is different; or rather: It
> is on the same level as ARIN itself, predating ARIN and originating in a
> government grant of unconditional rights that can be transferred. That
> is: property rights. There isn't really much legacy space, but I'm a
> legacy owner of 198.3.136/21 and contact for 130.105/16, which is owned
> by OSF.  Legacy blocks were given by the government without condition or
> time limit, much the same way that ARIN got its space.  Legacy blocks
> can be transferred and ARIN has no authority over its use. ARIN is just
> the record-keeper (like the county registrar of deeds) and provides
> IN-ADRR DNS services for Legacy blocks, as well as its own blocks.  For
> about two years now, ARIN has been running a protection racket, offering
> Legacies "protection" from theft if they transfer their space to ARIN.
> Uh huh.  Not many people signed up.

Yeah, I know, my ISP at the time lost me my legacy space, which is why
I'm behind a NAT provided to me by my ISP, after several failures for
them to keep their promise for my swamp C-class, and, of course, all the
renumbering I've had to do over the years ... but that's neither here
nor there, except, it's one of the reasons I'm really looking forward to
IPv6 ...

> > Right now the internet is v4 with bubbles of v6 connected via tunnels
> > to each other.  Slowly at first those bubbles will grow, and merge,
> > and eventually one day we'll all wake up and realize that it's now v6
> > with pockets of v4.  I kinda look at this the same way things where in
> > the 1980s most of the world was UUCP, with pockets of v4, and PPP.
>
> Well, a big difference is that your IPV4 computers didn't break when you
> turned off UUCP. Nor did adding IPV4 stacks and services break UUCP.
> Nor did you need an 'upgrade' day where you broke everything in UUCP
> world to cut over to IPV4.

Umm ... nor did my computers break when I added IPv6 to my IPv4
computers, they just started routing the IPv6 traffic over the tunnel,
and the IPv4 still was on my NAT.  Until my ISP decided that it was
inappropriate for me to be running a tunnel, and told me to either stop
sending so much encrypted traffic or find a new ISP because Real
Americans have Nothing To Hide ... *sigh*  Thank you ISP!

> IPV4 and IPV6 are like siamese twins, and the separation surgery is just
> as ugly and can kill both.  Indeed, ISPs will need Dr. CLNS and Nurse
> IS-IS just to perform the surgery.... Why not just put Dr. CLNS in
> charge now and not have simase twins? ;-)

Umm ... here you've gone off the deep end, my friend.  UUCP, IPv4, and
IPv6 running side by side by side.  Not a problem.  Do you need some
help in your configurations?  I'm sure there are some qualified people
on this list who are more than happy to help ...

> 		--Dean

-dkap