[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

John Orthoefer jco at direwolf.com
Fri Mar 12 08:46:14 EST 2010

One of the simplest ways to start is to go to SIXXS, or TunnelBroker or both, and get an allocation of v6 space.   I use v6 though a tunnel at home, and it's not bad (originally I set it up to get the Beijing Olympics, which had a free IPv6 feed of all the events.)   As opposed to what others where saying it's transparent, at least on Macs.   I use an Apple Airport Base Station with a tunnel to TunnelBroker, and I use SIXXS with there dynamic tunnel on my laptop.

One comment to Bill about v4 space running out, all those predictions are based on ARIN allocations.   The v4 space will then be in the hands of the ISPs, except for those places that got allocations before you had to be an ISP (BBN, for example.)   Since the resource is limited, there will be an aftermarket (I believe the space says that it goes back ARIN if you don't need/want it anymore, but people will just shove the ownership of the space into a holding company, and sell the company with the space.)  The bottom line is we are in the end stage of a landrush, then the space will get a market value (I know I sound like a freemarket guy now.)

So yes, there are all these people running around saying it's the end of the internet when space runs out.   But I believe it will be a non-event.

Right now the internet is v4 with bubbles of v6 connected via tunnels to each other.   Slowly at first those bubbles will grow, and merge, and eventually one day we'll all wake up and realize that it's now v6 with pockets of v4.   I kinda look at this the same way things where in the 1980s most of the world was UUCP, with pockets of v4, and PPP.

johno