[BBLISA] Am I missing the screamingly obvious? (AFS/Kerberos/LDAP)

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Mar 11 15:21:43 EST 2010

Kerberos realm should be the same across all servers. Think of kerberos
realm as windows domain (which after all, it actually is)

Its like that movie: 'There can be only one' realm (and its backups)

Cross-realm authentication is something to avoid with afs.  There is no
point; because one realm is really "root" (exposed keys) in the other
realm, anyway.

		--Dean

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Michael Tiernan wrote:

> Right from the start I'll admit to being out on a knowledge limb and
> getting close to it falling out from under me.
>
> I'm having a problem with some SSH/AFS/Kerberos aspects. It might be
> that I am asking for something that I just can't do. I don't know and
> I'm turning to this august group for some advice.
>
> Problem:
> (These are all "standard" Linux systems, CentOS5)
>
> I have a system "fred" it is in a kerberos realm "MONDAY" and there's
> no AFS component in this realm.
>
> I have another system "barney" which *IS* in a kerberos realm
> "TUESDAY" and has an AFS compomponent in it (which works fine).
>
> So, I have a user "Me" who wants to log onto "fred" via an SSH
> connection from a standalone system, get authenticated via Kerberos
> and is in the LDAP database.
> This part works FINE.
>
> "Me" can also log into "barny" from that same system via SSH, get
> authenticated and get his home dir via AFS from the LDAP db.
> This also works FINE.
>
> Where it goes off the rails is this..... (I am very likely configuring
> this wrong hence my asking for a reality check.)
>
> "Me" wants to log into "fred" from the same standalone system, via the
> same SSH & Authentication process and then _once logged in_, be able
> to, either automagically (ala automount) or by requesting tickets and
> aklog tokens, reach /afs/barny/user/me (separate from his fred home
> dir)
>
> Now, if "Me" logs into fred, sets up what seems to be reasonable
> values for the AFS configs and starts AFS, "Me" _can_ kinit a ticket
> for afs and then aklog a token to get into that AFS directory
> properly.
>
> BUT, if anyone else tries to log in to "fred", they get a failure
> because SSH times out trying to get tokens from the "TUESDAY" realm
> that they're not a real part of. OR, if the AFS configs are set up for
> the realm "MONDAY" (who has no AFS server) then the AFS stuff won't
> start.
>
> I *KNOW* I've been dancing all around the problem without seeing it.
>
> Anyone have any pointers for me?
>
> Thank you all for the use of your bits.

617 256 5494