[BBLISA] anybody doing IPv6 for real operations?/possible presentation topic

Dean Anderson dean at av8.com
Thu Mar 11 14:49:03 EST 2010

There are some trials at cable companies; very limited.  There are still
lots of brokenness, and many complaints.  I don't have time to go into
all the problems in detail.  OSPF, etc are bork.  Pretty much every
router on the planet needs an upgrade, but not until all the problems
are worked out. They can't even start doing /that/ upgrade this yet.
IPv6 is not exactly the work of the best and brightest. [Indeed, if you
knew the full truth, its the work of plagarists, con-artists and felons,
but I don't have time here to go into that, either; So I'll just stick
with "not the best and brightest"]

Anyway, I'm looking into adapting TCP and UDP to ISO CLNS, which
involves about the same work as fixing IPV6, and in the end, we know it
will work because every router vendor supports CLNS /now/ and
interoprates with every other router vendor, on protocols like IS-IS.

It is perhaps somewhat ironic that IS-IS supports (varying) IPV6 better
than IETF protocols...

I suggest that people now running OSPF should migrate to IS-IS in order
to be better prepared for either CLNS or IPV6. (which is also what I'm
doing)  You might want to look into getting a real ISO address space.

		--Dean

On Thu, 11 Mar 2010, Bill Bogstad wrote:

> The latest projections that I've read are that the address registries
> will run out of IPv4 addresses for new allocations sometime in 2011 or
> 2012.
> To my mind, this is uncomfortably close in time.    At last night's
> meeting, I asked if anyone was using IPv6 for internal operations as a
> way
> to get comfortable with the the issues and feel like I basically got
> no positive responses.   So, I would like to ask the list as a whole:
>
> Is there anyone who has IPv6 running on their internal networks?
> Are you using it for real operations or is this just for fun?
> What issues with apps/server software/routers/network appliances did
> you run into?
> What (if anything) have you done to get IPv6 connectivity to the outside world?
>
> I would love to have someone give a presentation on this general
> topic, but I think even a roundtable presentation by people with
> actual experience would be valuable.
>
> Thanks,
> Bill Bogstad

617 256 5494