[BBLISA] Quick Poll: Would you trust system software from an anonymous source? (fwd)

David Allan dave at dpallan.com
Thu Mar 11 09:27:39 EST 2010

Should have voted first time around; better late than never: I would not
fire the offender immediately in every situation, but that kind of
behavior would raise significant questions in my mind as to their
competence.

Mostly I'm concerned that it sounds like they went off and installed
something without talking to anyone about it.  There seem to be facts in
this particular situation that make it a particular concern, and many of
the OP's insinuations make it sound like this is one of those situations
in which firing might be justified, but I'd also be pretty upset if
someone went off and grabbed some well known, vetted piece of open source
code without talking to anyone.  That's no way to run an operation.
Documentation?  Support?  What happens if the guy who did the install gets
hit by a bus?  That kind of behavior is incredibly damaging to overall
manageability.  How would you subsequently rebuild such a system if it
failed?

Dave