[BBLISA] Recommendation for NAS appliance?

Tom Metro tmetro+bblisa at vl.com
Fri Mar 5 02:35:58 EST 2010

Jeff Wasilko wrote:
> EMC's Celerra NAS devices have a fully redundant back-end Clariion
> array. This has the typical config of dual storage processors that can
> take over for each other connected to dual-ported trays of disk.

What kind of interface between the trays and the processors? FC?

With high-end storage moving to SATA, I've been wondering how they pull
off redundancy. Not as simple as putting two controllers on one SCSI
bus. I'm guessing they're using custom silicon.

I wonder how one might emulate that level of fault tolerance using
commodity hardware, short of say putting an AoE[1] interface[2] on each
disk and chaining them together via Ethernet. Looks like a Taiwanese
company makes a 4-bay drive tower with AoE interface[3]. Two attached
through a switch to a pair of hosts would be close.

A device that could switch between two multi-lane SATA ports would do
it. Other people have been musing[4] about the same idea. But that's
probably back to custom silicon. It doesn't seem likely that one of the
SATA multiplexer chips (like what is found in this hub[4]) could be
coerced to do this. And technically you'd be back to a single point of
failure, even if a small footprint.

I see 3ware has RAID controllers with what they call "StorSwitch"
technology that relates to this, but no mention of it being able to
support two controllers on the bus.

Back on topic, I see Coraid (inventor of AoE) has a fault tolerant NAS
gateway appliance[5] to go with their AoE racks. Anyone used AoE? It
seemed to show a lot of promise, but has been slow to gain adoption.

  -Tom

1. http://www.storagesearch.com/aoe.html
2.
http://www.alibaba.com/product-free/252853040/AoE_enabler_internal_product.html