[BBLISA] physicalization

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa4 at nedharvey.com
Sat Jun 26 12:15:03 EDT 2010

Apparently, physicalization is the reverse of virtualization.  The use of
hundreds of low-power (like atom, arm, etc) processors each running its own
OS, instead of a smaller number of higher-power (like xeon, etc) processors
... To build-out highly parallelized servers, for the purpose of either
eliminating the need for virtualization, or to run highly parallelized and
distributed work loads supposedly cheaper and less power hungry than the
equivalent high-power "standard" server solution...

I am aware of products from seamicro and rackable (sgi).  Does anybody have
any experience in this area?  Know any other options I should consider?

The specific requirement we're solving is a workload which is highly
parallelizable.  We're currently paying Amazon EC2, but finding it's not
very economical.  So we're exploring alternatives, hoping to find a way to
run these parallelized jobs more economically.  It is also ideal to keep the
workload in-house, so we can eliminate the security concern about Amazon
employees having access to our data and so forth.

Thanks anyone, for anything you may wish to add to this discussion...  ;-)