[BBLISA] Verizon: No p2p blocking

Edward Ned Harvey bblisa3 at nedharvey.com
Thu Jun 17 20:58:36 EDT 2010

> From: Jurvis LaSalle [mailto:jurvis at gmail.com]
>
> > I've said before that I really like FiOS, partially because they
> don't do any shenanigans with my traffic, the way RCN or Comcast did
> when I used them.  And here's an article supporting that claim.  ;-)
> >
> > http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/2010/06/verizon-comcast-p2p-
> blocking-was-wrong-we-wont-do-it.ars
>
> RCN did that too?  I've caught them throttling me well below the tier I
> was being billed, but not shaping my traffic yet.

Before anyone says "why do you whine when they stop providing you service
they said they wouldn't give you," I want to say this:  isp's petition and
bid with towns and cities to service those areas, and often one or two isp's
have a monopoly on service for wherever you are.  If they impose rules you
don't like, there's nothing you can do about it except move to a different
town.

I don't know if RCN blocked p2p, but here were my experiences on RCN:

I ran an ssh and http server at home.  One day it stopped working.  They
suddenly started filtering inbound standard ports ...  So I moved to high
numbered ports ... And some months later, for the heck of it, I put it back.
Why the temporary change?  I don't know.

And my experience on Comcast:

My business paid for business-class cable service, with static IP's.  For
some reason, comcast filtered inbound port 22, and no matter how much I
called support or tried to get them to change it, they denied that they do
it.

And my experience with Earthlink:

One of my users has an Earthlink connection in NY city.  He couldn't connect
to our company VPN.  After about half an hour on the phone with him, we
figured out that his DNS server was resolving our domain name to the wrong
IP address.  This intentional DNS poisoning was done by Earthlink, but it's
also done by opendns.  (Just try this:  nslookup google.com 156.154.70.1 )
(Ultradns says google.com is 92.242.144.2 which is really one of their own
servers, they use to relay your queries to google, and they *claim* they
don't capture or use that information for anything.)

I also had a user with Verizon DSL at home, who had problems years ago with
outbound connections to port 25 ... Before 465 or 587 became standard, that
was a problem.  But I haven't heard of anything like that on verizon since.