[BBLISA] Fwd: Moving 100 GB and 1.3 million files

Toby Burress kurin at delete.org
Fri Jul 23 13:25:18 EDT 2010

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 09:11:07AM -0400, Edward Ned Harvey wrote:
> situations like this.  Also, "zfs send" directly streams the blocks of the
> filesystem, instead of performing filesystem level operations.  So again,
> 1-2 orders of magnitude faster, and the only catch is, you either receive
> the entire filesystem, or none of it.

iirc most dump commands do this as well, although I haven't said anything
because I doubt there is one for HFS.

When I was working in a dedicated hosting datacenter we'd occasionally
get requests to copy drive contents onto larger drives, and we'd always
give a generous estimate, and we'd *always* go long.

Until this thread I had always assumed it was because the read operations
were having to seek all around the original disks, not that writes were
being a pain.  If you actually do end up debugging it I'd be interested
in the results.