[BBLISA] Fwd: Moving 100 GB and 1.3 million files

Douglas Feldmann goladus at gmail.com
Fri Jul 23 08:44:36 EDT 2010

> I'm reasonably certain that the basic tools have not changed much in 10+
> years, so any UNIX book that talks about performance should get you
> started: top, iostat, netstat, nfsstat, etc.

Newer operating systems have been improving their debugging capabilities,
however.  Solaris has Dtrace, Red Hat recently introduced SystemTap, and
there are likely others.  These aren't tools that you can simply download,
they must be built into the kernel, but when present are very useful for
gathering information.

SystemTap is relatively new and I don't know much about it.  But Dtrace has
been around a few years now and there's a lot of knowledge available.  In
particular, Brendan Gregg has written a bunch of really nice Dtrace scripts
for basic troubleshooting on Solaris, in this case iosnoop, rwsnoop, and
opensnoop would be the tools I'd try.

Dtrace:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DTrace
http://www.brendangregg.com/dtrace.html