[BBLISA] Telecommunications Recommendations...

Richard 'Doc' Kinne rkinne at aavso.org
Wed Jul 14 12:46:23 EDT 2010

Folks:

I wanted to respond with thanks regarding the responses I got for my
requests for "telecommunications recommendations."

I'll say that FIOS is not an option here in West Cambridge. I think my
Director would die and go to heaven if I could get him FIOS, but not
in this lifetime apparently.

You folks basically were able to clue me in that the difference
between the DS1 and Comcast was the SLA. That was valuable. Comcast
business service didn't even know what an SLA was, interestingly
enough.

Daniel's thought on having two input streams coming into the building
and managing them via a "twin" or "dual" WAN router was very
interesting. I'm looking at such WAN routers now.

Both Daniel and K.M. Peterson spoke of "BGPs" in terms of advertising
routes. I have to say that I've not encountered the term "BGP" before
along that line. What is it?

Finally, David, your post regarding availability (loved the numbers!)
and potential port blocking was an important point.

At this point it looks like I can get and keep my current service, but
get it discounted by about 20%. This savings will enable me to add the
Comcast pipeline all for less than what we pay now. This will enable
us to have what we want and safely test the reliability of Comcast
over the long term.

Thanks again, folks! The BBLISA list has, and continues to be, a
critical resource which is invaluable to me, and I'm sure to many
others as well!
----
Doc Kinne
AAVSO