[BBLISA] Desktop policies and UNIX-ish operating systems

Dan Schlitt schlitt at world.std.com
Sat Jan 30 16:08:32 EST 2010

I suspect that I have a few years on Adam, but we come from a similar
background. My UNIX experience started with V7ish UNIX on DEC LSI-11s
and has been through lots of versions since then. I'm very command-line
oriented and I find that on OSX I can do most of the unixy things that I
want to do if I take into account its ideosynchrasies. Just like I had
to do on AIX, HP-UX and most of the other versions of the OS. And the
various distributions of Linux are included.

POSIX was the great effort to define the one true UNIX. It largely
failed. Only lawyers make fine distinctions about what is UNIX and what
isn't.

/dan

--

Dan Schlitt