[BBLISA] Desktop policies and UNIX-ish operating systems

Arthur Gaer gaer at math.harvard.edu
Sat Jan 30 14:15:24 EST 2010

Well, The Open Group, which certifies compliance with the UNIX
specification, says that both Mac OX 10.5 and 10.6 (i.e. Leopard and
Snow Leopard) meet the current UNIX 03 standard--along with Solaris
10, and a couple of recent versions of AIX and HP-UX.

http://www.opengroup.org/openbrand/register/

So although *you* may think that the only reason people think OS X is
Unix-like is that it uses a NetBSD kernel (and I think the people from
CMU might argue with you on exactly what kind of kernel OS X does use)
those who certify such things seem to think OS X pretty much *is* UNIX.

Perhaps you should lobby to get your minimum requirements added to the
next UNIX  spec?

Having worked with Unices for more than two decades, it doesn't seem
to me that the differences between OS X and other current *nix-like
OS's are any greater than the differences amongst the various
commercial and non-commercial *nixes of the last 20-odd years.  Unless
you go back 30 years to Seventh Edition, the degree of variation seems
to be rather constant.  And Seventh Edition didn't have X, either.  Or
package management.  Or...

Of course, many hackers out there nowadays seem to think the only One
True Unix is Linux as they've had no real exposure to any other *nix.
And any variation from the Unix distro they're most familiar with
isn't "real" Unix--I've had the unfortunate experience of trying to
get their code to compile on non-Linux systems.  They'd be wrong, too.

Arthur Gaer
gaer at math.harvard.edu